Friday, May 22, 2009

1916 Ten Pesos Counterfeit

This is one of my first collection among paper money, although sad to say this is a counterfeit. It looks genuine to me during the time that I saw it among the street vendors selling old coins and bank notes, antiques, etc.


I was convinced that the note looks odd due its age and the way it was kept and besides it was being sold for an affordable price. I was not able to resist since the seller told me that this item was hard to find and thus commands a higher price in others that sell such item. Because of this, I was able to bought 4 of these counterfeit notes, 2 of which the same below and another two notes which I will share in my next post.





The thing noticeable in this note was the texture. It is smooth to touch as if touching a piece of glossy paper. Another one is that it seems to be translucent, especially when subjected to light and then placing one hand underneath it, the hand is somewhat visible in closer inspection.





Recently I've swapped this note including two other counterfeit notes with Mr. Coolpit(Friend Collector) in exchange of Guerilla notes that I still don't have in my collection. He is interested in such item cause it could also be used as a reference for knowing what is fake or not.


I've learned a lesson that one should always be cautious when buying something that is not very familiar, especially among those so called rare items that is being sold for a dubious price. Anyway that was my past experience and luckily I met Mr. Coolpit and I'm confident that I'm getting genuine pieces especially from someone who went to the same situation as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment